Alerts and Tracking
Government-Issued Alerts (US and Canada)
Severe Weather Alerts (United States)
- Real-time severe weather alerts for the entire US
- Alerts are provided as soon as they are issued by the National Weather Service
- No other weather provider offers real-time access to this information in so many unique technical formats.
Environment Canada Severe Weather Alerts (Canada)
- Real-Time location-specific warnings, watches, and advisories issued by Environment Canada.
- Alerts are categorized according to 38 alert types including thunderstorm warnings, winter storm warnings, marine warnings, and wind advisories.
- Alerts are limited to within Canada.
- Canadian alerts are also offered as part of a U.S.-Canada combined alert product.
Custom Alerts and Advisories (available worldwide)
Custom Alert Email
- Custom alerts can be generated for any specific weather criteria
- Alert criteria can be in the past based on climate data or in the future based on weather forecasts
- Weather alerts can be generated that incorporate both past and future weather data
- Custom alerts can be sent out via email to specific user groups, via FTP, or via SMS using carrier email-to-SMS transmission
Current Condition Observation Alerts
- Alert notifications of severe weather events based on thousands of global, real-time current condition reports.
- Alerts are issued against standard criteria or customized for client requirements.
Forecasted Significant Weather
- Forecasted Significant Weather highlights areas with the most significant weather as compared to climatology.
- Created to be used in conjunction with Severe Weather Advisories.
- Forecasted Significant Weather uses a ranking of 0-100 to indicate the significance of weather in a particular location with a focus on precipitation, winds, and temperature.
Severe Weather Advisories
Global Severe Weather Advisory System
- First and only worldwide severe weather advisory system.
- Our advisories inform people around the globe of potentially dangerous or severe weather conditions in their local area BEFORE they happen.
- Advisories are updated four times daily and are available for 80,000+ worldwide locations.
- Advisories cover the next 24 hours.
- Options for upcoming 6 hours, 48 hours, and upcoming 5 days are also available.
- Lightning Strider Alerts (US only)
- High winds
- Freeze alerts
- Ice accretion
- Extreme heat alerts
- Hail potential
- Tornado potential
- Surf alerts
- Tropical storm updates
Real-Time Hail Tracking (USA)
- Track the size and movement of storm cells containing hail based on Doppler Radar signature
- Provides the probability of hail associated with a storm cell
- Indicates the maximum hail diameter reported
- Available through our API in XML format
- Data also available in a map tile interface with scroll-overs for additional detail
- Presence of any tornado vortex signatures
- Vertically integrated liquid
- Maximum Doppler Radar response
- Storm cell top height
- Storm cell movement
Hail Forecast (Global)
- Hail forecast is available as a Cloud Weather Service (CWS) plug-in.
- Forecast for a probability of significant hail is available out to 7 days.
- The criteria for significant hail has been defined by the Storm Prediction Center
- Globally available flood risk is based on past, current, and future precipitation compared to typical during a given period.
- Precipitation observations and forecasts are dynamically integrated over time to capture flood potential as it relates to given conditions across the landscape.
- Flood forecasts are available day-by-day at 10km with regional scales to 1km.
- Flood risk is broken into 5 categories – Low, Moderate, High, Very High, and Severe.
- Data can be delivered as kmz/kml, map tile, geojson, or geotiff/shapefile/geopackage.
Icing index for any global location is available via CustomWeather’s Cloud Weather Service. Variables include:
- Surface forecasts for categorical freezing rain
- Categorical ice pellets
- Percentage frozen precipitation
- Frozen rain
- freezing rain
- highest tropospheric freezing level geopotential height
- 0°C isotherm geopotential height
Lightning (North America)
Accuracy within 150 meters | Near 100% efficiency rating | Timing to the microsecond | Reporting within 12 seconds.
Lightning Alerts via Email
- Real-time lightning alerts via email can be delivered for specific locations across North America
- Alerts are sent according to user-defined distance thresholds (typically 5 or 10 miles)
Example alert via email:
Notification Rule: Lightning - 10 mi Lightning alert within 10mi 30min Lightning Distance: 7.31 miles Stroke Location: Lat: 29.6919 Lon: -95.1554 Type: IC Peak Current: +11.658 kA Activated Time: 08/18/2021 02:41:41 PM CDT
Tropical storm and hurricane tracking products for the North Atlantic, North Pacific, and Indian Oceans throughout the hurricane season.
Hurricane Tracking Information
Hurricane tracking includes:
- Current movement and minimum central pressure
- Forecasted storm positions
- Forecasted wind speeds, wind gusts, wind radiia
- Forecasted wave radii
- Forecasted conditions are provided for the upcoming 72 hours
CustomWeather offers a range of GIS formats enabling integration of the data directly into a client’s own geospatial application.
- Tropical storm paths
- Error cones
- Wind swaths
- Proprietary tracking maps with both past track information and future path projection
- All information is in an easy to read format for optimum plotting and display
Need a Custom Solution?